I was going to call this “Nice: First Impressions,” and then I thought, well, are they really first impressions after 2 weeks? Procrastination at its finest!
Anyway, here are some of my random thoughts (with pictures, of course) about Nice and the surrounding areas.
- Hello, gorgeous! There’s pretty much nothing more beautiful than a sparkling, blue sea with Mediterranean-style buildings and fauna framing it. Seriously amazing.
- For real. Every beach you go to has a ridiculous backdrop.
- The Farmer’s Market fruit here is so good! I mean, I’m sure this is true in most places, but the price here is hard to beat, too. It’s comparable to, if not better than, most of the local supermarkets.
- But you know what the Farmer’s Markets and supermarkets don’t have? BROCCOLI!! It’s been the most disappointing part about Nice so far.
- Well, that, or the fact that there is dog poo everywhere! The sidewalk from our rented Air BNB to the tram is like a war zone. All of the doggy bathroom bag dispensers throughout the city are empty of bags and filled with beer cans and candy wrappers instead.
- Not as many people speak English here as in Germany, but it’s been OK so far. We’re trying really hard to translate things, then listen to the pronunciation and try to recite it to whomever we’re talking to. It seems to go better when we just show them the translation on our phone. We had an entire conversation with a store manager about buying a beach umbrella using hand gestures, noises, and our phone’s translator app. Teamwork, for the win!
- On that note, French is really hard, however, we’ve perfected ordering ice cream. Duh.
- Also on that note, the gelato is AMAZING here. I know Brian’s got something up his sleeve about a new “Misadventures of Ice Cream: Part 1,253,” so stay tuned!